Brief review of the week

This has been a bit of a hectic week. Between getting the rust spot on my car fixed, taking care of work, and doing my stuff for the endocrinologist, I’ve been a bit busy. And on top of that all, I’ve been trying to get more rest. I feel like I’m still on the verge of being sick again. I think I’ll be fine, but only if I can keep myself rested up and relatively well. That’s why I haven’t been online much this week. I mean, heck, I’ve even been late reading Catharsis on a few days. Reading the latest Catharsis strip is usually one of the first things I do when I have access to the Internet. But things have been so crazy, it hasn’t been happening.

I’m curious to see what’s going on with my blood sugar. I’ve come pretty darn close to bottoming out on two nights this week. On Wednesday night when I checked it at 7:30 (about two hours after supper), it was down to 67. I immediately had a yogurt before Mom and I ran the van to the body shop. And then Thursday night, I was clear down to 59. I stood in the kitchen eating a snack and I felt like I was wolfing it down. I also felt myself slightly shaking at the time, too.

The good news is that it was quite a bit better last night. When I got home and took my “after supper” reading, I was at a 96. I’m not entirely sure what made the difference. The only thing I can figure is that I actually ate supper half an hour later than normal. I’m not sure why that’d make a difference, but it’s the only thing I can figure. Everything else, I did practically the same on each of those days.

I have about another hour before I can test my blood sugar tonight. My parents and I went out for supper and that made for a late meal. I’m a bit concerned about what it might be. After all, I had a lot to eat tonight — the restaurant we went to gives ridiculously large portions — so it might be a bit high. But then again, it can be up to 140 before Dr. Lee’s going to get too concerned. And if it’s only one test out of the entire week, that’s probably not too terrible anyway. I just can’t make a habit of it. (Taking the test every day and having to send it in to Dr. Lee’s office sure helps keep me honest about just how habitual something like that is becoming, too.)

My car is fixed. The body shop managed to get it in on Thursday and finish the job up yesterday. So I left work about two hours early so that I could get there in time to pick up my car before they closed. They did a fantastic job. If I ever need body work done again (may the gods forbid!), I’d definitely consider going back there. Once I had the car, I also decided to run to the Ford dealership. I need a second key made. And unfortunately, I have one of those cars that uses the keys with the anti-theft microchips in them. So that’s something you have to get directly from the dealer. On top of that, because I only have the one key, the dealership has to program the keys by hooking the car up to the diagnostic computer. To do the “easy programming” method, you need two previously-programmed keys. I’m a bit annoyed about that because it means I have to pay a bit extra. But ce’st la vie, I suppose. I’m getting it done on Monday morning because they said they couldn’t do it yesterday. They said it would take a half hour to do the job and everyone was getting ready to go home for the evening. I just stood there shaking my head. It was only 4:30. Most of us have to work until 5:00. But nope, these guys were “getting ready to go home” and therefore couldn’t start a half hour job. People talk about “banker’s hours,” geez, I want to start working “mechanic’s hours.” Oh well, now I’m just being silly. I’m not really upset, but it gives me something to mutter about. Sometimes, it’s just fun to do that.

Leave a Reply